Monaco confirm the signing of former Racing Drivers’ Championship drivers Manuel Senni and Gianluigi Canamas to replace Daniil Kvyat and Rubens Barrichello, with new drivers also confirmed for the qualifiers against Russia. 

Senni, who spent two seasons with Renault in France, joined Monaco in 2020 as an assistant coach, but was replaced in the following season by former F1 World Champion Alain Prost. 

He joined the French team in 2017, scoring six points in 18 races in his debut season in the team’s F1-winning Lamborghini. 

Canamas, who has previously worked with Toro Rosso, has been at the helm of Renault since 2011, and joined the team as a reserve driver for the 2018 season. 

The team also confirmed the signing for the French drivers of Maximiliano Agnelli, Pascal Wehrlein, Bruno Senna, Max Verstappen and Sebastian Vettel, while new drivers Marcus Ericsson and Max Chilton will also join the team. 

Both drivers will be part of a three-car reserve line-up, with Ericsson in the No. 9 seat and Chilton in the sixth seat. 

Lamborghini has confirmed that Sennis and Canamas will replace Kvyats and Barrichegs, but confirmed that the other drivers will remain with the team and that it is the same as before. 

“Lambo will be looking forward to working with Manuel Senna and Gianluca Canamas,” said team principal, Stefano Domenicali. 

Monaco will face reigning champion Ferrari in the French F1 Grand Prix on Friday (12 August), with Prost taking on former teammate and current F1 team-mate Pascal Wehl. 

Renault also confirmed that former Renault team-mates Jolyon Palmer and Ruben Perez will be the second drivers to be replaced in their respective roles with Renault. 

Prost and Perez have been at Renault for two years, having joined the squad in 2012. 

Perez is currently the team principal and former Ferrari driver, and he took over from Jean Todt, who retired at the end of the 2018 campaign after only four years in charge. 

Palmer, who drove for Renault for 12 years, joined the outfit in 2010 and was named F1’s youngest driver in 2011. 

Racing legend Jacques Villeneuve, who is in charge of the French side, has also been confirmed as a driver. 

Ahead of the 2017 season, Renault also confirmed a new driver signing, as former Formula One and F1 driver Michael Schumacher agreed to join the brand for the season.

“Michael Schumachers decision to join Racing Drivers was a difficult one,” said Renault F1 Head of Motorsport, Cyril Abiteboul. 

“[He] had a fantastic season in Formula One, and we wish him all the best in the future.” 

Piquet will be partnered with his brother Jean-Pierre Piquet at Toro Rosse, but he will not be making the same step to the front of the grid as he did at Renault.

“I am happy to be joining Toro Rossellas with Jean-Piquets brother Jean Pierre,” he said. 

 Renaults new driver line-ups: Maximiliano Sennini, Renault: 1st, 5 points, 0 race wins (1) (2017)

Tags: